Saturday, September 14, 2013

I'm in the UK!

And I'm now reading Ulysses on the Kindle!

Admittedly, it's odd to be now surveying world literature from a centre of hegemonic production. I actually take pride in being on the margins, commenting on the rest of the world. Zero authority, zero responsibility, zero blame.


Some friends have compared my project to A Year of Reading the World, which the UK writer Ann Morgan did over 2012, in conjunction with the London Olympics. I always liked to point out the differences: she focussed only on fiction from the UN's independent nations, written/translated into English - even had some writers writing stuff specially for her. I thought my multipolar, multigenre, sorta multilingual project was *better* in some way.

But no matter now. I have left the periphery and am now the centre!

No comments: