Monday, February 18, 2013

Is Norfolk Island a country?


Finished another draft of my play today after pulling an all-nighter. Might've got Operation Crossroads finished if I'd stayed up longer, but I can't honestly be arsed. It's more plodding, a little too chock-full of details than I find necessary.


So for today's post (I feel it's necessary to post at least once every eight days), I'm going to ask a question that's been bothering me. Should I cover Norfolk Island separately from Australia?


It's administered by Australia, but it's not that close to the land mass. It's also listed as distinct from Australia and New Zealand under the UN geoscheme. There's also a half-decent book I could read for the purposes: Morgan's Run by Colleen McCullough.


The population's only 2,169 people, though, and I don't think the culture's radically different from Australia. And oddly enough, the UN geoscheme does also list the Pitcairn Islands (administered by UK, population: 67) but not Christmas Island (administered by Australia, formerly administered by Singapore, population: 2,072 mostly consisting of people of Asian descent).

Does it come down to whether people there feel like they're Australians? Whether Australians feel like they're part of them? I dunno. Wouldn't mind some comments.


No comments: