Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Whatever happened to Rumi?

My excuse for not having finished Al-Ghazali yet is that I freaking lost the library book for nearly a week; only recovered it after having bought a replacement from Wardah Books.

But I owe you guys an explanation for why I'm not doing Rumi Jalaluddin's Masnavi, as I originally announced. After all, he's the national poet of (currently much-beleaguered) Iran, isn't he?


Said explanation is complicated. Y'see, upon doing a bit of research, I discovered that Rumi lived in a time when the Persian Empire was pretty damn big: the town where he was born lies in either present-day Afghanistan or Tajikistan. Later, he fled his town when he was seven to settle in Konya, Turkey.

Somehow, I got it into my head that Rumi never once set in what's currently Iran. However, a glance at Wikipedia that he did indeed encounter the poet Attar in Nishapur.

So I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Do I return to my original plan of reading the really long Masnawi? Or shall I read it for Afghanistan, thus displacing Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner? Or shall I keep it for my next circuit, when I'm reading Tajikistan? After all, there are really few famous literary works about Tajikistan...

In other news, the replacement Kindle is here!


Hurrah!

No comments: